The world can be a negative place sometimes, but here are my 30 tried and true ways to spread positivity in your life and others!
1. Start a ‘good things’ jar. Get a jam jar and whenever something good happens to you, write it down and put it in the jar. At the end of the year, open it up and look back on all the wonderful things that happened to you that year.
2. Pay compliments wherever you go. Don’t be afraid to tell people they look beautiful. As one Japanese Proverb says, “One kind word can warm three winter months.”
3. Smile, and smile big. It is the most beautiful thing you can wear.
4. Bake for people. Who doesn’t love a girl who brings home-made cookies to school?
5. Don’t half-ass anything. “If you laugh, let the laughter shake your very foundations. If you cry, become your tears. If you hug somebody, then become the hug. If you kiss somebody, then be the lips, then be the kiss. You will be surprised how much you have missed, how you have lived up to now in a lukewarm way.” – Osho.
6. Pull a funny face once in a while. Life’s too short to not be silly, and nothing shows you are comfortable in your own skin more than being able to laugh at yourself. So, embrace your inner child.
7. Meditate. “If you decide to take just a moment, just a moment to get still, to clear your mind, to open your heart, to listen to that sacred voice that guides you, that protects you, that knows and loves you, you are going to have a good day.” – Iyanla Vanzant.
8. Ask how someone’s day is going. People will always be pleasantly surprised because it’s so uncommon. Be that girl who cares.
9. Know that happy people are the prettiest people. My girl crush Drew Barrymore says this: “I just think happiness is what makes you pretty. Period. Happy people are beautiful. They become like a mirror and they reflect that happiness. If somebody walks in the room and they’re drop-dead gorgeous and sexy, it’s really fun to look at. But if someone is giving of their spirit and they make you laugh and feel good, that’s a whole other level of beauty.”
10. Laugh. Wildly, unexpectedly and until tears roll down your cheeks. That’s the best kind of laughter.
11. Surround yourself with people who lift you higher. People who bring out the best in you. Who makes you laugh until your stomach hurts. Who celebrates you for who you are.
12. Give more hugs. None of that one arm crap. Give warm hugs. Give I-don’t-ever-want-to-let-go-of-you hugs. Give hugs where you pick people off the ground and spin them around.
13. Understand that everybody can use more love. Don’t let it get your spirits down when people are rude or unkind – they are the ones who need love the most.
14. Say yes more. The world is already full of people telling you no. Be the kind of girl who says yes – yes to more adventure, yes to exploring bare-feet, yes to taking more risks, yes to chocolate, yes to bright lipstick, yes to love.
15. Surprise someone with a gift. Even something simple like flowers can make someone’s day so much more brighter.
16. Listen to happy, feel-good music. OneRepublic’s album ‘Natives’ will make you feel on top of the world. Alternatively, find happy or feel-good playlists on Spotify and feel your spirit soar.
17. Turn off the television, and while you’re at it, stop reading trashy magazines. There is a world outside to explore that will fill your heart with much so more beauty than TV or tabloid magazines ever can.
18. Do small gestures of kindness. Hold the door for a stranger, give cash rather than coins, pay for their coffee. I had someone buy me a brownie once when I was having a hard day at work! People appreciate it, and it’s those small acts of kindness that can really make someone’s day.
19. Don’t be afraid to get a little dirty. Don’t let getting a bit of mud on you stop you from doing something spontaneous and fun. Slide down that hill on a cardboard box, start that food fight, run through those sprinklers.
20. Leave around thank you notes. Leave it for the cleaner at work or for the waiter at the restaurant.
21. Frame and hang up positive quotes and pictures. You will feel more positive when your room is filled with people you love, beautiful photography and happy affirmations.
22. Stretch. It does wonders for your body and mood.
23. Tell someone you believe in them. Tell them that you believe in their dreams. Tell them that you think they are wonderful.
24. Wear your heart on your sleeve. I LOVE this quote. “I love being horribly straightforward. I love sending reckless text messages (because how reckless can a form of digitized communication be?) and telling people I love them and telling people they are absolutely magical humans and I cannot believe they really exist. I love saying, “Kiss me harder,” and “You’re a good person,” and, “You brighten my day.” I live my life as straight-forward as possible. Because one day, I might get hit by a bus. Maybe it’s weird. Maybe it’s scary. Maybe it seems downright impossible to just be—to just let people know you want them, need them, feel like, in this very moment, you will die if you do not see them, hold them, touch them in some way whether its your feet on their thighs on the couch or your tongue in their mouth or your heart in their hands. But there is nothing more beautiful than being desperate. And there is nothing more risky than pretending not to care. We are young and we are human and we are beautiful and we are not as in control as we think we are. We never know who needs us back. We never know the magic that can arise between ourselves and other humans. We never know when the bus is coming.” – Rachel C. Lewis, Tell The People You Love That You Love Them.
25. Celebrate the small things. Because what’s life if we don’t celebrate our journey along the way?
26. Say positive affirmations to yourself. Every time you feel negativity seeping in, repeat positive mantras to yourself, such as, ‘I am stronger than I think,’ ‘I am more beautiful than I will ever know,’ or ‘I am going to be completely me, bravely.’
27. Practice gratitude. Oprah once suggested that to practice gratitude, you write five things you’re grateful for at the end of each day. Count your blessings, and you will see more of it.
28. Offer someone a service you’re good at, for free. If you’re good at hair and make-up, offer to do it for a friend the next time you go out. If you’re good at painting, create a beautiful piece of art for a friend and give it to them as a gift.
29. Listen. It is the most liberating thing to be heard and understood without any judgement. Be that good friend, sister or daughter and listen to what someone is going through. It will mean more to them than you know.
30. Watch this Kid President video. In fact, watch all his videos. This kid is radiant with positivity.