It’s my 23rd birthday today (I feel SO old), and by the time you are reading this I would have already jumped out a plane from 13,000 feet in the air!
Today I thought I’d do something a little different and write 23 facts about me:
1. I am full Chinese but was born in a refugee camp in South Korea before leaving for New Zealand when I was four months old.
2. I had a legitimate moustache when I was in my early teens and my cousins used to call me, ‘Moustache Lady.’
3. Chai lattes are one of the best things I know, I had them in every city while I was traveling around Europe and I drink it almost everyday.
4. My first kiss was when a ginger boy kissed me in the playground when I was two (and I have photo evidence!).
5. I have three tattoos: one of an anchor on my ring finger, a quote on my right arm that says, ‘Hope Is The Anchor For My Soul’ (The Lilac Road slogan), and a secret tattoo that I got on the back of my neck during a crazy time in my life.
6. I have dyed my hair purple, red, almost a bright orange (I tried so hard to be Haley Williams from Paramore haha) and blonde. Now I am older and wiser I appreciate my natural hair colour and try to look after my hair as much as possible.
7. My parents once called the cops on me. I was sneaking in my house at 3am in the morning through a window and they thought I was a thief. They still don’t know the truth to this day!
8. My favourite animals are dogs as they are the most beautiful spirits I know, and whales. One of my bucket list wishes is to one day see one.
9. I have had two legitimate encounters with ghosts: one was in my room and the other while I was in a hostel in Ireland.
10. The happiest moment of my life was when I got a phone call telling me that Hope99, a charity organization I co-founded, raised $11,000 for abused children in Thailand.
11. Although I am 5’2, I have an appetite of a man. I’m proud to say even my guy friends are impressed by my capacity to eat. Food is one of the greatest loves of my life.
12. I was a tomboy when I was growing up because I grew up with male cousins who loved to play practical jokes on me. I loved getting dirty, playing with bugs and running around my backyard.
13. My dream is to make The Lilac Road into a retreat, work for a non-profit humanitarian organization, be a well-travelled woman and jet-setter, and have two dogs (a pug and an Alaskan Malamute). That dream makes me so happy whenever I think about it.
14. The countries I want to travel to most in the world are Turkey, Israel and Italy.
15. In my downtime I am a nana. I love reading, watching films and documentaries, eating at restaurants with friends and hiking when I can. A recent hobby I have picked up is cooking because…
16. I am a bad cook. Even though my mum is a chef! I try my best but it ends up pretty gross most of the time. I wish I had a natural flare for it, but you can’t have everything!
17. The craziest things I have done is buy a one way ticket to Ireland all by myself, jump in the ocean in my underwear at 4am in the morning alone and fly to Wellington to see a guy I liked.
18. I have mild obsessive compulsive disorder which is not as bad as it used to be. When I was younger, if someone walked into my room I would vacuum their footsteps up. Now, if something isn’t straight I’ll always have to rearrange it, even while I’m shopping. Fortunately, even though I’m very particular, my flatmates and work colleagues are forgiving!
19. I have never paid for a haircut in my life. I have always done it myself or asked my auntie to do it for me.
20. My greatest fear is having someone close to me dying.
21. I have not had a boyfriend yet.
22. I have this incessant habit of brushing my hair every hour. I carry a huge brush in my bag at all times and I’ll whip it out in public and just start brushing my hair. My friends get mortified haha.
23. My dislikes include karaoke, Eminem, pineapples and people with no manners.