1. Remind yourself that everyone makes mistakes, does things wrongs and has moments of regret. There are no perfect people out there. In that sense, you are just the same as everybody else.
2. Remind yourself that that was then, and this is now. You can’t turn back the clocks and change what you did, but you can be a different person in the future.
3. Allow yourself to experience and name the feelings you are struggling with (regret, guilt, shame, disappointment, embarrassment, sadness, etc). Then, make the decision to let those feelings go. In the end, it’s unhealthy to become attached to them.
4. Ask yourself what you can learn from the situation. What would you do differently if you found yourself in that situation again? How can it change the person you are now (so that you feel better about yourself)?
5. Recognise that failings and mistakes are part of the growth process. It’s inevitable that you’ll encounter obstacles, challenges and failures throughout life. Don’t let that stop you from really living life.
6. Remind yourself that it was what you did, it’s not who you are. Don’t allow any single event or experience to define you. You are more than so don’t let that become your identity or your destiny.
7. Give yourself the gift of a new day and a new start. Forgive yourself, let go of the past and move on with your life with confidence.
Photo via What The Chung