1. Listen carefully when others are speaking. Keep your mouth shut and focus totally on them.
2. Never, ever talk over other people. This is disrespectful and a real turn off.
3. Even if the person leaves an hour between each word, resist the temptation to complete their sentence for them.
4. Don’t interrupt — let the other person finish. Then, acknowledge what they’ve shared before adding your own thoughts.
5. Paraphrase or summarise what’s just been shared. It shows that you have listened and are keen to understand.
6. Maintain good eye contact as this says you’re interested, and that the speaker and their story are important to you.
Photo via The November Issue